Monday, November 12, 2012

Berita Litar - Zulfahmi Ends Season in Style with Second Podium Win



Muhammad ZulfahmiKhairuddin closed his 2012 season in style by taking his second career podium win at the Valencia Grand Prix after finishing third in a thrilling race which saw the Malaysian Moto3 rider and race winner Danny Kent winning their positions in a sensational maneuver on the final turn of the contest.

In collecting his second podium of the season and another 16 precious championship points, Zulfahmi, who scored his first podium at his home Grand Prix in Sepang last month, climbed to seventh in the Moto3 world standings with a total haul of 128 points.

Starting from 17th on the grid, the AirAsia SIC Ajo Racing rider takes a cautious approach in the race as he kept close to the leading group throughout the 25-lap contest; and only started to attack in the last five laps as the 21-year old Malaysian chalked a string of fastest laps.

With three laps to go, Zulfahmi briefly took place behind the Red Bull KTM Ajo Racing dynamic duo of SandroCortese and Danny Kent as the Malaysian passed South African Brad Binder, who however, fought back to third.

The position remained until the final lap and the last Turn 14 when both Kent and Zulfahmi made their daring passing maneuvers; overtaking Cortese and Binder respectively to give the Banting-born rider a well-deserved podium win.

Interviewed at the parc femme, Zulfahmi said that he had to take a cautious approach due to the track’s wet and slippery conditions, which was something that he never favoured.

“I was very careful at the start and just follow the leaders … I saw some riders crashing out; so I become more careful until the final stages of the races. I took a big risk on the final turn and I am happy to win my second podium.

“I would like to say sorry to Brad (for denying him a podium) … now, I look forward for next year,” said Zulfahmi, who was named as the Most Improved Rider for Moto3 by the world championship official website www.motogp.com After The Flag programme.

Kent won the race in 45 minutes 5.891 seconds; crossing the finishing line just 0.056 seconds ahead of world champion Cortese and 0.114 seconds infront of Zulfahmi. They were joined on the podium by Aki Ajo, the team principal of Ajo Motorsports, who celebrated a grand occasion with all his three riders on the podium.

2012 also marked a grand season for Zulfahmi’s key sponsor Sepang International Circuit (SIC), with the 2012 Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix named as the Best MotoGP Event for the Year.

Interviewed later, Zulfahmi said that the results today were unbelievable as he had to struggle in Friday’s free practice and in qualifying yesterday.

“From 17 to third is undoubted a great result … I can’t believe that I managed to get to the podium. I am very happy to win my second podium in my career.

“I am now so looking forward for next year … it would be more competitive; but I will be ready … And, I also feel so happy when I know SIC won the MotoGP of the Year award. It’s just great,” said Zulfahmi, who would be representing SIC at the awards ceremony later today.

No comments: